Ergo Deus - On Account of God

Commentary & observations from my particular Christian perspective, including "homework" from my weekly Bible study on Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Life. Please feel free to post topical comments.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Between UNH & USM of late., United States

Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.

Thursday, February 9

Islam & Violence

Curiosity finally got to me and I searched the Web for the controversial cartoons of the Islamic prophet Muhammad published first by a Dutch newspaper and then nearly a year later by other European papers and I can see why the protesters would be upset. Regardless that depictions of "Allah's final prophet" are (vaguely) forbidden by the Qur'an (see 42:11), it is just a matter of simple respect for another's culture that the cartoons should never have been published. I have seen far more offensive renditions of other religious figures, particularly the one I'm most fond of, my Lord and savior, Jesus Christ.

But you don't see me burning down buildings over it. Maybe because Christianity doesn't inherently believe -- despite what was done during the Crusades and the Inquisition -- that non-believers should die. On the contrary, Christians want everyone to come to salvation of their own free will. That's the only way it works. Redemption by spear-point doesn't count. That certainly seems contrary to what supposed followers of Islam are demonstrating.

As recalled in The Autobiography of Malcolm X: As Told to Alex Haley (which led to the 1992 movie Malcom X), Malcom learns during a Hajj that the hatred of Caucasians instilled in him by the Nation of Islam and it's then leader Elijah Muhammad is false and Islam teaches that all people are valued in the eyes of Allah, even disbelievers, if only as dhimmi. Having read much of the Qur'an I have yet to find any command to the contrary.

Which makes me wonder if I am reading the same book as the Muslims that I see daily on the evening news. Where is the command "Go forth and injure or kill the infidels" in the book? I have searched and searched and cannot find the justification. Now I suppose I have to start looking at the fatwahs. Many a war has been started or turned on the interpretation of scripture. For that matter, so has many a sect and denomination. Sometimes I think that religion would be much more fun if people weren't involved.

For your consideration:
"Danish Cartoons: Free Press or Hate Speech?"
"Nation of Islam" at Wikipedia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home