Ergo Deus - On Account of God

Commentary & observations from my particular Christian perspective, including "homework" from my weekly Bible study on Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Life. Please feel free to post topical comments.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Between UNH & USM of late., United States

Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.

Wednesday, January 11

PDL Chapter 1 Question

"In spite of all the advertising around me, how can I remind myself that life is really about living for God, not myself?"

"Vigilance! Constant Vigilance!" (Professor Moody in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince). There's a war between good and evil with Man in the middle of the battlefield. One of the enemies’ greatest weapons is temptation. Lurid, hedonistic displays intentionally try to lure the righteous from salvation and keep the fallen blinded to His light. When I first saw a 5-story high billboard featuring a very scantily clad Pamela Anderson in Times Square, New York City I found myself turning away in embarrassment but my eyes weren't following the rest of my body. I wanted to gawk but I didn't want others -- complete strangers -- to see me so, though I didn't feel any lust or perverse thoughts. Maybe had I lingered long enough weakness would have allowed distraction turn into disaster.

An incident like this is why I need to rely upon God to remember that life is really about living for Him. Being an imperfect being I am simply not up to the task. Only with the Lord’s strength, guidance, and forgiveness can I avoid the temptations around me: "LORD, there is no one like you to help the powerless against the mighty. Help us, O LORD our God, for we rely on you, and in your name we have come against this vast army" (2 Chronicles 14:11).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home